Saturday, October 18, 2008

OUR KIDS

I heard a lot about spoilt kids this era in a recent radio channel. I even encounter those kids rolling on the floor and crying out loud to get what they want.

Luckily, I dont encounter this with my kids. This is the following question I would like to ask the parents;

1) Where did they learn this kind of rebellious and fighting attitude?
Children are just a piece of white paper, they learn very fast from the TV and from us. So, be careful do not quarrel in front of them. Especially your attitude, it will influence them immediately.

2) Do you understand them?
Understand them why they are so eager to get what they want. Its because they are influence by their friends or cousin who have this toys. They want to show off to get the attention from their friends.

3) Do they respect and love you?
Always remind them that you love and respect them and they will do the same. Explain to them whats the meaning of respect and love. Dont show them you love by buying toys or do what they want.

4) Do you know what is the consequences if the children get what they want?
Did you feel quilty of spending less time with them? Is the toys a bribe to replace the loss time with them? This not love by bribing them with toys cause you are spoiling them. And imagine if they are all grown up with this kind of attitude, they will lie to get what they want. I seldom bring my kids to the toys shop and the only place we visit is to the book stores or buy some educational toys even I can afford it. I will explain to them where our money comes from and how our money is being use for the benefit all in the family. Do maths with your kids on how to handle money wisely.

5) Do you talk to them face to face? or you just grumble and warn them?
Talk to them face to face if you found out or notice that they did something wrong. Warned them not to repeat the mistake or you will punish them.(make sure you really punish them).

This is one of the true happening that I encounter;

One day, my youngest son, offered to wash my car for RM2. Of course, I immediately agreed and I told him that he owed me RM48. He was surprised and I asked me why. I told him that I am his driver during this tuition lesson and my fees is RM38 and plus the petrol is RM10.

Later, I explain to him that its not the matter of whether I can afford it or not, I just want to let him know that we did a lot of things together as a family and cannot be so calculative.

No comments: